Preparing your house to sell can make a big difference in how your house is perceived by a potential buyer. First impressions are lasting – having your house in good condition could get you a higher price for the property and help to sell it faster.
Showing the Interior
When showing the interior of your home, you want to make sure to:
- Clean the kitchen and bathrooms
- Remove any excess clutter or large furniture (this includes the garage)
- Fix cracked windows, stained ceilings, wall marks
- Keep counter tops cleared
- Clean or replace carpeting
- Clean every room in the house
- Showcase attic and closets
- Repair any holes in the walls, wallpaper or paint
- Inspect and repair the plumbing, heating, cooling, alarm systems.
- Open draperies and curtains for natural light
- Repair sticking doors, windows, drawers, dripping faucets, replace light bulbs, etc.
Showing the Exterior
When preparing the exterior of your home, you want to make sure to:
- Keep hedges trimmed
- Make sure your lawn and landscape is nicely manicured and weeded
- Check the foundation, steps, walkways, walls and patios for cracks
- Inspect for peeling paint and fix clean gutters
- Paint the front door
- Make sure the fence is in good condition
- Make sure that your doorbell wroks
- Touch up or repaint, preferably in neutral colors